Saturday 24 March 2012

The Equilibrium

What do you think:


Spec is as follows:

105 group with the exception of brakes which are shimano 451's long reach
planet x wheels
SKS guards
Conto 4 seasons Gps's 25mm
SLK Crabon seat post
Spesh BG seat
Spesh alloy bars

So now I have a steel reynolds framed do it all bike :)

The main differences between the roubaix are as follows which I'll try to split into frame vs the rest:

Frame feel:

Good bits are its springy and really compliant
Very comfortable and definitely feels an all rounder as apposed to a racer or a tourer for that matter

Less good bits in comparison to carbon
You can feel BB flex slightly, this surprised me s I'm hardly Griepel however flex it does. Not enough to create any feeling of real sluggishness just in comparison to CF it feels like its not quite as direct when you stamp on the pedals.

Its also heavier, the frame must be a 3rd or more heavier (remember the fork is still carbon), you do notice this I reckon its probably about 2kgs more then the Roubaix is now (the Roubaix does have DA and ultegra and much better wheels remember along with CF bars, seat post etc).

Steering is also slower, if I'm honest the roubaix handles quite a bite better striking a really good balance of directness and comfort.

So all in a really good do it all comfy steel bike...I am happy. To put this in context,

Every time it rains......I'll take Equilibrium
Every time the sun is out......I'll take the Roubaix
Marmotte/sportif......Roubaix every time
Adventure taking in pubs and more pubs with the wife on a summers day.....Equilibrium.

So thats 5 bikes and I can't currently ride any of them at the moment...I'm sure I'll be able to laugh at that in a few years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment