Sunday 24 June 2012

The Long One


So Saturday was my final sportive prior to the big one and consisted of 126 miles and just under 2400m of climbing. When I booked it they claimed 130 miles and over 3600 m of climbing and you know what....I'm glad it came in under!

Its was the 1st sportive with Anthony (the guy from work I managed to rope into the Marmotte) and the aim was to do a pre-event and see how we could work together in prep for Marmotte. In reality Anthony did pretty much all the work and I held onto his wheel for dear god.

Its interesting in that I've done far harder rides but prior I just didn't feel like like. I think the long rides in prep are doing my head in a little. The long one was held over the south downs in a really pretty part of South England each little village with its own thatched pub. And this my friends was part of the problem, you see I really like pubs and every time we passed another the thought of jacking it all in and spending my weekends in the pub seemed like a far more attractive proposition.

Anyway, enough of the complaining thanks to Ant we easily came in for gold with a time of 7.36. Ride time was 7.10 and we lost about 15-20 mins as I had a puncture and then my front mech went out of alignment and I couldn't get out of the small ring....oh and I needed a number 2 too.....look some jobs just cannot be rushed OK!

So what did I learn during the day:

1. Don't over train and from now until the event I intend to wind down big time
2. Sort the bike, new tyres (hopefully no more punctures), 11-28 cassette and front mech sorted
3. I'm alright on the hills, I'm pretty light and they just seem to suit me.....long flat bits still do my head in.......this is where Ant comes in, as he's a strong lad on the flat.

2 weeks today then, you won't hear from me now until after the big event unless something bad happens. So fingers crossed and I'm looking forward to that 1st French Beer at the top of the Alpe....my god I'm going to get slaughtered regardless of how tired I feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment